The 2017 American Historical Association conference is coming up fast, and we know you’re excited to attend your panels, debate ideas with some of the most respected historians in the world, and, of course, buy fantastic books. We also know you’d love to do some exploring when the day’s events are done. This year, AHA’s annual conference is being held in at the Hyatt Regency in Denver, which also houses the Colorado Convention Center. It’s a central location, making it incredibly easy to go sightseeing without traveling long distances. We’re here to help you narrow down your list of places to visit:
- It may be cold in Denver, but we recommend taking a scenic walk through the Denver Botanical Gardens, which is a short 15-minute Uber ride from the Colorado Convention Center or a 35-minute walk, which will take you through Civic Center Park right by the Colorado State Capitol Building.
- In the heart of the beautiful City Park are two must-see Denver attractions. The Denver Zoo is worth a visit, especially if your family is traveling with you. And after viewing the stunning Amur leopard and impressive black rhinoceros, you can walk on over to the Museum of Nature & Science, a mere 15-minutes away.
- Looking for delicious eats after a long day at the convention center? Try the food over at Sam’s No. 3, only a 10-minute walk. With great variety and even better prices, Sam’s is good for the whole family. If you’re looking for something a little fancier, try the seared Columbia River steelhead and apple tarte tatin over at Fruition Restaurant.
- If you’ve got some time in the evening and just want to relax, head over to the Landmark Mayan Theatre, where you can view screenings of new releases as well as independent, foreign, and avant-garde movies housed in a beautifully preserved building with retro décor.
- Staying in Denver a little longer? There are some fantastic day trips you can go on in the Denver area. Enjoy the majestic scenery of the Rocky Mountains by driving along the Continental Divide and Trail Ridge Road. Check out the ski town of Winter Park with tons of local shops, and try to snap a photo of a moose!
We hope you enjoy your time in Denver and at AHA, and look forward to seeing you there.
Featured image credit: Denver Skyline at Sunset by Larry Johnson. CC BY 2.0 via Flickr.