It’s Tony season and who better to educate us about the wonderful world of theatre than Thomas S. Hischak, author of The Oxford Companion To The American Musical: Theatre, Film and Television. Hischak is a Professor of Theatre at the State University of New York College at Cortland. He is the author of sixteen books on theater, film, and popular music as well as the author of twenty published plays. In The Oxford Companion To The American Musical Hischak offers over two thousand entires on musicals, performers, composers, lyricists, producers, choreographers and much more. Below are the answers to this morning’s quiz.
1. Harvey (1944). It was also her last Broadway credit.
2. Liza Minnelli in The Act.
3. Into the Woods. Book by James Lapine, music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.
4. Pipe Dream.
5. South Pacific (1949). The four winning performers were Mary Martin, Ezio Pinza, Juanita Hall, and Myron McCormick.
7. Wonderful Town (1953).
9. The Sound of Music (1959). Six of the seven Von Trapp kids were nominated for Best Featured Actress and the eldest Von Trapp, Lauri Peters, was nominated separately. They all lost to Patricia Neway as the Mother Abbess in the same show.
10. Angela Lansbury.