Happy Friday to all. I hope you have plans to enjoy the tail end of August this weekend. Our condolences go out to the family of author Grace Paley, who died of breast cancer this week. If you want to learn more about her check out these great articles: LitKicks, Maud Newton or The LA Times.
- Do you finish books you aren’t enjoying? I put down The Inheritance of Loss this spring and I’m still feeling guilty about it.
- Curious about the origins of the online OED? Check out this fascinating blog entry.
- An inside look at what it is like to be a medical student.
- A great discussion is going on in the comments about how we should view Arthur Miller in light of his treatment of his son.
- Can you understand the mindset of this year’s freshman class?
- I just started reading The Savage Detectives and this blog post got me very excited to tackle the book.
- More sad news.