OUPblog > Language > Dictionaries & Lexicography > OUP USA 2010 Word of the Year: Refudiate

OUP USA 2010 Word of the Year: Refudiate

Editor’s note: I love being right. I really, really love it. In July, I guessed that “refudiate” would be named Word of the Year, and TA-DAH! I was right. What Paul the Octopus was to the FIFA World Cup, I am to WOTY (may he rest in peace). But that’s enough about me because what’s really important is that…

Refudiate

has been named the New Oxford American Dictionary‘s 2010 Word of the Year!

[origin — blend of refute and repudiate]

Now, does that mean that “refudiate” has been added to the New Oxford American Dictionary? No it does not. Currently, there are no definite plans to include “refudiate” in the NOAD, the OED, or any of our other dictionaries. If you are interested in the most recent additions to the NOAD, you can read about them here. We have many dictionary programs, and each team of lexicographers carefully tracks the evolution of the English language. If a word becomes common enough (as did last year’s WOTY, unfriend), they will consider adding it to one (or several) of the dictionaries we publish. As for “refudiate,” well, I’m not yet sure that it will be includiated.

Refudiate: A Historical Perspective

An unquestionable buzzword in 2010, the word refudiate instantly evokes the name of Sarah Palin, who tweeted her way into a flurry of media activity when she used the word in certain statements posted on Twitter. Critics pounced on Palin, lampooning what they saw as nonsensical vocabulary and speculating on whether she meant “refute” or “repudiate.”

From a strictly lexical interpretation of the different contexts in which Palin has used “refudiate,” we have concluded that neither “refute” nor “repudiate” seems consistently precise, and that “refudiate” more or less stands on its own, suggesting a general sense of “reject.”

The Short List

In alphabetical order, here are our top ten finalists for the 2010 Word of the Year selection:

bankster noun (informal) a member of the banking industry perceived as a predator that grows rich at the expense of those suffering in a crumbling economy: trillions of dollars are flowing to the banksters in the form of near-zero interest loans.
[origin — 1930s: blend of banker and gangster]

crowdsourcing noun the practice whereby an organization enlists a variety of freelancers, paid or unpaid, to work on a specific task or problem: Kodak used social media crowdsourcing to engage its customers in their naming contest.
[origin — early 21st cent.: on the pattern of outsourcing]

double-dip adjective denoting or relating to a recession during which a period of economic decline is followed by a brief period of growth, followed by a further period of decline: higher food and energy prices could increase the risk of a double-dip recession.

gleek noun (informal) a fan of the television series Glee.
[origin — early 21st cent.: blend of Glee and geek]

nom nom (informal) exclamation an expression of delight when eating.
pl. noun (nom noms) delicious food.
verb (nom-nom) eat delicious food with obvious enjoyment.
adjective (nom-nommy) descriptive of delicious food.
[origin — imitative; popularized by the noises made by the character Cookie Monster on Sesame Street (usually as “Om nom nom nom”)]

retweet verb (on the social networking service Twitter) repost or forward (a message posted by another user): people love to retweet job ads.
noun a reposted or forwarded message on Twitter.

Tea Party a US political party that emerged from a movement of conservatives protesting the federal government in 2009.
[origin — allusion to the Boston Tea Party of 1773]

top kill noun a procedure designed to seal a leaking oil well, whereby large amounts of a material heavier than the oil—e.g., mud—are pumped into the affected well.

vuvuzela noun (also called vuvu) a long horn blown by fans at soccer matches.
[origin — South African, perhaps from Zulu]

webisode noun 1. an original episode derived from a television series, made for online viewing.
2. an online video that presents an original short film or promotes a product, movie, or television series.
[origin — 1990s: blend of Web and episode]

Thoughts? Leave a comment!

SHARE:
94 Responses to “OUP USA 2010 Word of the Year: Refudiate”
  1. Stan says:

At the risk of opening a can of words, is this result irrefudiable or irrefudiatable?

2. The Word Guy says:

It’s somewhat sad that a mediocre politician/celebrity will now be permanently enshrined in history for what was, after all, a mistake and not a legitimate coinage. But the job of a lexicographer is to focus on the WORD and its context irrespective of how folks may “feel” about it, and kudos for the objectivity shown in calling this the word of the year.

Oh, and I still feel it gives Ms. Palin another undeserved moment of glory – but I can live with that ;)

3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mike Cane, Gareth Winchester, Oxford Journals(OUP), paigecasey, mighty red pen and others. mighty red pen said: RT @StanCarey: New Oxford American Dictionary's 2010 Word of the Year is REFUDIATE: http://j.mp/cTKBwD (Shortlist included RETWEET, NOM … [...]

4. Susan Fensten says:

The Tea Party is not a political party, it’s a movement.

5. [...] Oxford American Dictionary has picked ‘Refudiate’ as the 2010 Word of the [...]

6. The tea parties are not a “political party” per se, and calling them such tends to render more credibility by way of creating a false image. If they were in fact a new party, they would not be almost universally Republican. The tea parties have no central leadership, charter or organizational structure: it’s simply a theme or title to identify Republican gatherings. Added, the largest of the tea parties were heavily sponsored and promoted by GOP-supporting business interests … Hence, they are tea party Republicans, not a “a US political party.”

This is not dissimilar to citing someone as a progressive, blue dog or liberal Democrat. There’s lots of centrist Democrats out there and they’re ever contending with progressives and liberals for party control. That does not mean they are their own political party.

7. Mike Cane says:

I’m just very grateful the misappropriation and misuse of “curate” didn’t make this list. And please don’t do that next year!

8. Chris says:

Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy will be ashamed of this if they were alive today. Is Oxford in a slump?

9. 2501 says:

I’m sorry, but naming something “word of the year” when it’s origin was a person illiterate enough to have not known they were not using a real word is just pathetic.

10. refudgelical says:

You’ve lost my respect, “GLEEK?” Are you fn serious? Nom nom? Did you find this crap on urban dictionary?

11. Glenn Fleishman says:

“crowdsourcing noun the practice whereby an organization enlists a variety of freelancers, paid or unpaid”

That seems more restrictive than its use in practice, because the term freelancer implies professionals. Crowdsourcing in its broadest sense is not and has never been connected with a requirement that professionals be involved, paid or unpaid.

12. Sarah says:

I think it’s unfair of people to question the authority of the Word of the Year when they obviously haven’t bothered to read the post.

From above:

13. Scott Starkey says:

I think “malamanteau” http://goo.gl/Q40ij would have been a good word of 2010. Strange that it didn’t even make the short list. It’s especially appropriate considering “refudiate” was *chosen* as the WotY. Duh.

14. realmrsflynn says:

Wow, I think you’ve lost the right to have “Oxford” in your title as you’re bringing down the intelligence of anything with that name. Really don’t care that “refudiate” has been used by others than Palin; it is being highlighted as a word from her. Why do we have to highlight low level intelligence? As silly as it is, I’d rather see nom-nom or even gleek being made word of the year. They’re made up but at least they make sense and are words I’ve actually seen used, unlike the Palin word.

And people say that English isn’t dying…it is and you’re helping to dig the grave. I’ll not be buying your dictionary in future–either for personal use nor for my library.

15. Matt says:

Surely “nom nom” and its longer sibling “Om nom nom nom” are already sufficiently frequently in use to justify an entry in the dictionary?

The all-so-scientific google search for “Om nom nom nom” turns up nearly 7.5 million references, where “refudiate” turns up just 110,000.

16. BC says:

Gleek goes back even earlier, when I was young (early 80′s) it described a spitting technique. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleeking#Gleeking

17. Marva says:

Thanks for this. Refudiate? Seriously? Listen! Shhhh! Do you hear it? That’s the sound of English professors slashing their throats. Heavens to Betsy!

No wonder our students make up nonsensical phrases and sentences. How Palinesque of you.

18. Jack Curzon says:

No wonder the rest of the terms were runner-ups, refudiate is the only one close to being a real word. After Sarah Palin’s use of the term, I have found myself using it in several occasions. And I will continue to do so. I find pleasure on refudiating the left leaning non-sense punditry that continues to damage our country.

19. Lori says:

Shame on you Oxford American Dictionary!! Shame, Shame, Shame! This woman is an intellectual abomination and so must be those who work for you!

20. Steve says:

New word? I don’t think so. To me it seems more like a FLUMBLE.

21. Bill says:

Ha Ha. Let’s continue to dumb down the English language by naming the illiterate Sarah Palin’s “refudiate” word of the year. I can’t believe you would be a party to such nonsense, damaging your reputation in the process!

22. [...] refudiate has been named the word of the year by the New Oxford American Dictionary, published by the Oxford University Press, beating out a [...]

23. Chris says:

This seems the stunt. Normally when these words are announced, they have the appearance of being coinages that have come into _common_ use, almost always via the Web. This was a single event lexicographically, widely publicized but only over the course of a few news cycles: Event, criticism, critical backlash, backlash to the backlash, done. Now OUP claims that all along, like TIME’s Person/Thing of the Year, WOTY was meant to capture that which got the most attention (in TIME’s case, regardless of where it falls along the moral spectrum) instead of what we thought it was — a legitimate, scholarly evaluation of words and word usage. I’ll get my irony somewhere else, thank you. Now take this nonsense back and pick “double-dip.” I’m pretty sure the economy is what defined 2010, not Ms. Palin’s inability to spellcheck.

24. redball says:

Thank you for this post! Question: Did Palin actually use “refudiate” more than once? This post says that she has used it in “different contexts” but I am aware only of that one infamous tweet.

Were there other occasions I’m not aware of?

25. [...] University Press’s New Oxford American Dictionary has announced its “Word of the Year” for 2010 and it is “refudiate,” a term made famous [...]

26. I’d like to suggest a new word for 2011:
    OADious – adjective, referring to a shameful publicity stunt that rewards the ignorant.

27. Jude Tulla says:

Perfect way to weed out which dictionary NOT to buy! The Oxford Dictionaries USED TO BE well-respected but no longer in my opinion!! Poster “2501″ hit the nail right on the head and I couldn’t have said it better. Shame on Oxford!

28. Tim Murphy says:

Somebody mentioned Hardy? Asked about an obscure word in one of the poems, he said “That’s a word!” and hauled out his new OED to prove it. The only citation was, yup, Thomas Hardy.

29. Melissa says:

Does anyone know of a good address to write to for the New Oxford American Dictionary? I would love to inform them that I will no longer look to their dictionaries as a legitimate source of information for further clarification of entries nor will I use it as a source I go to for my degree related studies. (As, my professors require that I use real words in my research papers; I just can’t take the chance.) Perhaps, if I wanted to look up words for a fairy tale that is set in a make-believe land I will go back to Oxford.

30. Mathew Gibson says:

Intriguing choices. With the exceptions of vuvuzela and webisode, I had not heard any of these words.

I just hope that such terms can also be excised from the dictionary once the fad for using them ends.

31. Sarah says:

English = evolving, living language. If you want a static language (and to never have to buy a dictionary again) try writing in Latin.

32. J. Henry Rone says:

Good heavens. I can’t believe all the people getting upset at Oxford. Have any of you read the post? The “word of the year” is just that: a popular word for that year. It is simply recognition that culture sometimes creates new words, and a reminder that the Oxford folks are watching it closely. THE WORD “REFUDIATE” IS NOT BEING ADDED TO THE DICTIONARY. Nor is “unfriend” or any of the other possible top ten words. Get a grip!!!

33. ic says:

For those who are upset about “refudiate”, care about the approval of Dickens and Hardy, please be reminded that if English were not a forever changing language, we would still be speaking Shakespearish (or Norman French? Anglo?) and there would be no “trucks” but “lorries”, no “hoods” but “bonnets”, and no “kowtowing” to the Chinese.

Lighten up.

34. [...] editor of the Oxford University Press blog explains: "From a strictly lexical interpretation of the different contexts in which Palin has used [...]

35. Lavrentius says:

In resposne to Sarah posting above, who makes an appropriate and true point, actually, a whole lot of Latin going on nowadays, via the rede electronicum…

36. David A. says:

What people seem to forget–or never knew–is that Palin used the word “refudiate” in a tweet. Her entire tweet came in at 139 characters. The limit is 140. When you only have that many characters, one is bound to make abbreviations, contractions, or in Palin’s case, a portmanteau. She successfully got her message across, which was the most important concern. All of the liberals who find it fun to mock her probably wouldn’t expect a grocery list or an errand list to be strictly correct in grammar. Or for that matter, in these comments. It shows the superficiality of the critics more than the supposed ignorance of Palin.

37. urban says:

A shocking lack of a sense of humour in most of the comments here, but Stan’s “can of words” is priceless!

38. Eric Austin says:

This is a pathetic publicity stunt at best, a criminal affront to English speaking people everywhere at worst. English, that ever changing language, is certainly not changing for the better with refudiate. I can’t abide the celebration of ignorance that is Sarah Palin, aided and abbetted by, of all entities, the New Oxford American Dictionary. What’s next, nuculer? Or was that last year’s winner?

I’ll lighten up when the this cloud of ignorance disperses.

39. kd says:

“refudiate” in Palin-speak should mean re-FUD-iate, i.e. fill or populate with FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) where none existed, not ‘reject’ as the Oxford American dictionary defined it. Is Oxford American dictionary now legitimizing illiteracy?

40. [...] from the series except the rise of Sarah Palin outside the political realm.  Her word, “refudiate” also garnered attention from her twitter post and now it’s been added to the New [...]

41. Paul says:

I have to think that webisode is a far more used and understood word than refudiate. When I saw the pick I had to even think back to when I last heard anyone mention it. And yet webisode is in constant use. I suppose that means webisode will be added eventually but refudiate will not.

42. fored altman says:

These are not words of evolution of a living language adapting to contemporary life experiences. They are merely the latest manifestation of our emerging national obsession with celebrating mediocrity and elevating ignorance to a lauditory, if ludicrous status. By lending the imprimatur of your institution to this trend you demean your own credibility with all except the ignoramuses.

43. [...] Now, the venerable Oxford American Dictionary has declared it the word of the year. [...]

44. Pantagruel says:

To make “refudiate” word of the year is really lame. It was used once by an individual, not a community. It’s a silly spoonerism, lacking wit and creativity. Nor does it express a new development in contemporary culture (other than the prevalence and character of the person who spoke it).

“bankster”, “crowdsourcing” and “doubledip” have been popular for some years now. On that account they can hardly be called words of 2010. But at least they say something about our times.

I would have chosen “vuvuzela”. Truly 2010 and truly a phenomenon. It also sounds good (the word, not a stadium full of fans blowing the instrument).

45. SM says:

Setting the scene for a conspiracy theory laugh? A word that may have been spawned from ‘Repudiate’ which has a few contextual use cases:
    [1] one is REFuse to recognize or obey (authority) or discharge obligation of state, as well as
    [2] …another is to Disown, Disavow, REFuse to have dealings with…,
    and
    [3] finally, of course … divorce,
    according to the Concise Oxford of Current English published 1964, etc till 75 .. but do they use Oxford English in Alaska? All this an amusing smoke screen: Here is a conspiracy theory – By ‘Refudiating’ was she actually avoiding admitting to full on repudiation?

46. John Simon says:

If using language incorrectly is your criteria, perhaps you should you should consider interviewing inmates next as a source for new words or maybe use poorly written Junior High School compositions. Don’t look to the wordsmiths, our great writers and poets to advance the language.

47. [...] to the announcement on the Oxford University Press Blog, the official definition of refudiate is: a verb, used loosely to mean “reject”: she called on [...]

48. [...] OUP USA 2010 Word of the Year: Refudiate refudiate verb used loosely to mean “reject”: she called on them to refudiate the proposal to [...]

49. Mrs. Polly says:

Whelp, AOD, I REJECT your pandering, as well as your contention that “refudiate” contains a hitherto unexpressed meaning. I guess it’s the American Heritage from now on for me!

@John Simon~ (sotto voce) pssst! Mr. Simon! Sir? Begging your pardon:

“criterion”

A thousand apologies, Mr. Simon. Otherwise, I agree with you entirely. And I’m sorry I stepped on your foot. Again. I don’t know what got into me before; possibly the spirit of Liza Minelli.

50. [...] On another Twitter-related note, the word of the year has been chosen by the Oxford University Press USA: [...]

51. [...] has been added to the New Oxford American Dictionary. It isn’t exactly new, according to the Oxford University Press Blog. Rather, it was thrust into the spotlight by Palin’s use of it to generally reject statements [...]

52. Spike says:

Good to see the “left” have a collective “cow”.

53. Carl says:

So…refudiate is silly.

But not nearly as silly as this crowd-all lathered up because it came from that subhuman Palin. You folks need jobs!

And of course, anything that (re: Marva)has “English professors slashing their throats” can’t be all bad!

54. lew says:

I’ve got another : “Palin-drone” – a word that smells the same backwards as it smells forward?

55. [...] The word crowdsourcing was among those nominated by the New Oxford American Dictionary for their Word of the Year. Unfortunately, it was beat out by “refudiate,” a word invented by Sarah Palin in a [...]

56. [...] year, a group of people at OUP USA put our heads together and come up with a Word of the Year.  This is an example of a word (or expression) that we feel has attracted a great deal of new [...]

57. [...] you haven’t heard – well, how haven’t you heard? “Refudiate” is the New Oxford American Dictionary’s 2010 Word of the Year. (And no, that doesn’t mean “refudiate” has been added to the NOAD or any other [...]

58. [...] noticed that the Oxford University Press building on Madison Avenue had a window display for their Word of the Year announcement. How delicious! I had to take a few shots.Being a word lover I adore' [...]

59. [...] the original here: OUP USA 2010 Word of the Year: Refudiate Related Posts:Refudiate Named New Oxford American Dictionary's 2010 Word of the YearSorry, [...]

60. [...] Oxford American Dictionary blog editor Lauren Appelwick is reporting “refudiate” as the 2010 Word of the Year, joining past recipients “unfriend”, “truthiness” and so many other wonders of the internet [...]

61. Richardhg says:

Interesting that the other popularizing word-coiner you mention is Warren Harding, probably the best-looking man ever to be President of the United States. But dumber than a brick.

History about to repeat? Interesting. Harding, America ascending. Palin: the last nail in the coffin. From shirtsleeves to empire to shirtsleeves in five generations. Now that’s fast!

62. [...] refudiate, Sarah Palin’s mistaken combination of refute and repudiate, was made one of the New Oxford American Dictionary’s words of the year, I’m sure that the first thing you thought about was the rant that languageandgrammar.com was [...]

63. [...] course, NOAD’s selection of refudiate as its 2010 Word of the Year puts the spotlight on political celeb Sarah Palin’s presumably inadvertent blending of [...]

64. [...] Although Palin is likely to be forever branded with the coinage of “refudiate,” she is by no means the first person to speak or write it—just as Warren G. Harding was not the first to use the word normalcy when he ran his 1920 presidential campaign under the slogan “A return to normalcy.” But Harding was a political celebrity, as Palin is now, and his critics spared no ridicule for his supposedly ignorant mangling of the correct word “normality.” (Source: OUP blog) [...]

65. [...] refudiate has been named the word of the year by the New Oxford American Dictionary, published by the Oxford University Press, beating out a [...]

66. [...] All Palin’s attempted banter is unabashedly awkward. She tells her kayak guide, “Eric, you look like Jesus. We’re in good hands,” only to provoke the withering deadpan response, “I’ve heard that before.” She waxes profound about life, noting that it’s nice to be outdoors, away from “those things that are kind of on the periphery of our lives that seem to consume it.” This could mean anything! Plato, in his dialogue Theaetetus, likens the process of hitting upon an idea to a hunter seeking a fluttering knowledge bird who sometimes happens to seize upon a fluttering ignorance bird instead. This is similar to what I imagine the process of coming up with a Palin speech or tweet is. Sarah Palin knows a lot of four-syllable words! More than the dictionary knows, sometimes. [...]

67. [...] New Oxford American Dictionary recently announced its Word Of The Year is “refudiate.” This doesn’t mean it has officially become a [...]

68. [...] New Oxford American Dictionary has named “refudiate” as the Word of the Year, defining it as a “verb used loosely to mean ‘reject:’” An unquestionable [...]

69. [...] Refudiate has been named the New Oxford American Dictionary’s 2010 Word of the Year I’ve posted about the word and its origin here. refudiate verb used loosely to mean “reject”: she called on them to refudiate the proposal to build a mosque. [origin — blend of refute and repudiate] [...]

70. [...] Refudiate – reject. ( Oxford American Dictionary ‘s word of the year). [...]

71. [...] The definitions can be seen at the OUP blog. [...]

72. peter frazier says:

Sarah is just too dumb to know better, I am sure she thought that was a word!

73. [...] their word of the year (close cousin to deficit), while the Oxford American Dictionary plumped for refudiate (though it refudiated including it in the published dictionary). The favourite dictionary of yours [...]

74. [...] Read the Beyond Words commentary on Refudiate-Gate 2010: Language and Politics: Palin Refudiates Critics Read about the Oxford American Dictionary selection: OUP USA 2010 Word of the Year: Refudiate [...]

75. [...] Refudiate: New Oxford American Dictionary’s word of the year by Julie on January 5, 2011 According to the New Oxford American Dictionary, “refudiate” is the word of the year 2010. It’s a verb “used loosely to mean reject”, a mix of “refute” and “repudiate” (http://blog.oup.com/2010/11/refudiate-2/). [...]

76. [...] doing the naming and what you’re reading, because the New Oxford American Dictionary made it Word of the Year (Maybe refudiate will be Sarah Palin’s lifetime achievement?) Dr. Lynne was definitely [...]

77. [...] Oxford University Press USA got the party started with refudiate, the word everyone loves to hate. (This would be a good time to share the excellent post by Stan Carey at Sentence First, “‘Not a word’ is not an argument.”) [...]

78. [...] doing the naming and what you’re reading, because the New Oxford American Dictionary made it Word of the Year (Maybe refudiate will be Sarah Palin’s lifetime achievement?) Dr. Lynne was definitely [...]

79. [...] New Oxford American Dictionary [...]

80. [...] New Oxford American Dictionary dubbed “refudiate” the word of 2010, following it’s 2009 word [...]

81. [...] The definitions can be seen at the OUP blog. [...]

82. [...] Refudiate is almost a better word than vuvuzela, because it’s not so much a real word as a neologism, one much of America attributes to Sarah Palin, the former governor of Alaska, who used it in a Twitter message in July. (She took a real shellacking for that.) The Oxford University Press called it the word of the year. [...]

83. zip says:

Why does America need to usurp the English Language – “our language” ???? Is it so insecure in this time when it is facing the irrefutable evidence of its own demise? American English … is just that, American ENGLISH .. a variant of an original. Its ability to adapt is not American at all. It comes from its historical roots.

Asian students of English are seduced by America’s past glory as number 1, into thinking that American English is somehow normal, even desirable because it is so recognisable (cultural imperialism?). Unfortunately, like most Americans, Asian students of English are often ignorant of the fact that it is spoken by so many millions in so many other countries and that these others don’t speak “american english”, that that form of English is only a variant of a much bigger family of languages, all connected by their historical roots.

This ignorant cultural imperialism continues … I guess it’s like the orchestra playing even while the Titanic was sinking …

Your language ?? is English first, and the American variant second.

84. javadic says:

“Nom nom nom nom” is also a colloquial/children’s expression in Farsi meaning “delicious.”

85. [...] Refudiate is almost a better word than vuvuzela, because it’s not so much a real word as a neologism, one much of America attributes to Sarah Palin, the former governor of Alaska, who used it in a Twitter message in July. (She took a real shellacking for that.) The Oxford University Press called it the word of the year. [...]

86. I guess I would DEFINITELY be considered a Gleek since I started a website showcasing all the episodes of Glee!

87. Malamanteau Mania says:

Refudiate looks like a malamanteau to me! :)

88. Alex says:

Funny list, specially vuvuzela

89. Sammy says:

‘Nom Noms’
    Honestly, if i hear anyone using that word they’re just retarded, it should have an age limit. Which grown man would look at a platter of food and say “yeah Non Noms”. It even looks weird being capitalized!.

in what context could this word be effectively used and the meaning is projected without sounding retarded??

90. [...] by the blogosphere, but the gaffe got so much attention that it resulted in the word being named 2010 word of the year by Oxford New American [...]

91. [...] The staid editors of Merriam-Webster named ‘austerity’ the 2010 Word of the Year.  Meanwhile, the trendier New Oxford American Dictionary‘s 2010 Word of the Year isSarah Palin’s ‘refudiate’. [...]

92. [...] Oxford English Dictionary has just named “refudiate” word of the year. The Oxford link seems to be crashing at the moment, from volume, no doubt.Last year, apparently, it was [...]

93. [...] Here are a few of their lists. I find their similarities as interesting as their differences. from The Oxford University Press from Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (This list was determined not by a committee or vote but by [...]

94. [...] make it into next year’s version of the dictionary, despite its special status, and indeed, sources at the Oxford University Press say Sarah Palin is not the original inventor of the word—merely its most enthusiastic [...]