In the second episode of The Oxford Comment, Lauren Appelwick and Michelle Rafferty celebrate geekdom. They interview a Jeopardy champion, talk sex & attraction with a cockatoo, discover what makes an underdog a hero, and “geek out” with some locals.
Featured in this podcast:
- Jesse Sheidlower, Editor-at-Large (North America) of the Oxford English Dictionary, author of The F-Word
- Matt Caporaletti, Advertising Account Supervisor, Jeopardy champion
- David P. Barash and Judith Lipton authors of Payback: Why We Retaliate, Redirect Aggression, and Take Our Revenge
- Scott T. Allison and George R. “Al” Goethels, authors of Heroes: What They Do and Why We Need Them. Check out their heroes blog!
- The Ben Daniels Band
- Sharon Zukin, author of >Naked City: The Death and Life of Authentic Urban Places, Professor of Sociology at Brooklyn College & the CUNY Graduate Center. Read her OUPblog posts!
- Benjamin Kabak, author of popular subway blog Second Avenue Sagas
- Charles Komanoff, creator of the Balanced Transportation Analyzer
- Gelf Magazine
- Vincent Valk, contributing writer, also online editor for Chemical Week magazine
- Max Lakin, contributing editor (Read his piece on Sharon Zukin and Naked City)
- Adam Rosen, contributing editor, host of the Non-Motivational Speaker Series
Headline image credit: Geek glasses. CC0 via Pixabay.