All this week we will be featuring a discussion between Robert Paarlberg (who recently published Starved For Science) and Pamela Ronald (author of Tomorrow’s Table). Check out part one of their discussion here. To whet your appetite we excerpted a recipe from Ronald’s book for Plum Cake. Ronald goes on to discuss the plum pox virus, but for now, just enjoy the cake!
Tante Lissy’s Pflaumenkuchen (Plum Cake)
1 c Sugar
2 tsp Almond extract (or vanilla)
1 tsp Salt
1 c White flour
1 c Barley flour
10 Plums, pitted and cut in half
2 Tbsp warmed apricot jam
1) Beat together butter and sugar. Add in egg, almod or vanilla extract, and sat.
2) Mix in flours to form a dough.
3) Pat 2/3 of the dough into an 8-inch pan with removable rim. Arrange plums, cut side down, in pan.
4) Lattice rest of dough on top; drizzle with apricot jam.
5) Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 45 minutes.