In celebration of our beautiful new editions of the Oxfords World’s Classics series, I thought I would post a fun quiz about the books. Every day this week I’ll be posting 10 questions to really get you thinking. So, how many books or characters can you name from our clever clues? Answers on Friday.
Section One: Their Daily Bread
1. The witch of the place presides over a rotten wedding feast.
2. His sweet tooth eats through a Wilkie Collins epic.
3. He fried his kidney in Dublin town.
4. She takes the credit for the boef en daube.
5. Her cupboard was full of jam tarts, lemon tarts, Spanish tarts and cheese-cakes.
Section Two: ‘It’s a hard-knock life’
1. Misselthwaite’s maid.
2. Raksha’s man-cub.
3. Discovered in a handbag at Victoria Station.
4. Would rather sail the Mississippi than paint a fence.
5. Left Kansas for emerald delights.